Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: To twist or not to twist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member johnsonad's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2009
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    To twist or not to twist

    That is my question

    I'm going to recap the crossovers in my Altec Model 19's and use new wires to the drivers. Should the wire going to the drivers be twisted or seperate as they were factory, loose in the cabs?

    Thanks,

    Aaron

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonad View Post
    That is my question

    I'm going to recap the crossovers in my Altec Model 19's and use new wires to the drivers. Should the wire going to the drivers be twisted or seperate as they were factory, loose in the cabs?

    Thanks,

    Aaron
    Twisting pairs reduces EMI. The audible effects will be insignificant at the very most. But, twisted pairs look neater, and IMO, make the venture worthwhile on that basis alone.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    To twist or not to twist


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Twisting pairs reduces EMI. The audible effects will be insignificant at the very most. But, twisted pairs look neater, and IMO, make the venture worthwhile on that basis alone.
    Spot on. The only thing I could add is the longer the wire run, more chance of EMI. So a foot and a half run will not be noticeable. It MIGHT be noticeable on a very long run. Largest variable- is EMI an issue in tour area? If you live a block from a radio station...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Spot on. The only thing I could add is the longer the wire run, more chance of EMI. So a foot and a half run will not be noticeable. It MIGHT be noticeable on a very long run. Largest variable- is EMI an issue in tour area? If you live a block from a radio station...
    Hmmmm, I actually DO live very close to a radio station. I used to be able to hear it over my phone!
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Hmmmm, I actually DO live very close to a radio station. I used to be able to hear it over my phone!
    That could come in handy--maybe if you listen closely to your speakers in between spinning vinyl you'll hear "Caller number 20 wins a pair of Altec Tar Filled 1803's!"
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonad View Post
    That is my question

    I'm going to recap the crossovers in my Altec Model 19's and use new wires to the drivers. Should the wire going to the drivers be twisted or seperate as they were factory, loose in the cabs?

    Thanks,

    Aaron
    I've recapped my Model 19's but kept the original wiring. Maybe I should consider replacing that old wiring too in all of my Altecs that I've recapped. What kind of wire are you using and what kind of caps?
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  7. #7
    Inactive Member johnsonad's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2009
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    I've recapped my Model 19's but kept the original wiring. Maybe I should consider replacing that old wiring too in all of my Altecs that I've recapped. What kind of wire are you using and what kind of caps?
    The choice of wire seems to be a very debated topic on this forum. I have a stash of Neotech 20g solid core wire which I'm planning to use. The caps are the new Jantzen Cross-Caps. So far they received good reviews and have values a little closer than other brands.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonad View Post
    The choice of wire seems to be a very debated topic on this forum. I have a stash of Neotech 20g solid core wire which I'm planning to use. The caps are the new Jantzen Cross-Caps. So far they received good reviews and have values a little closer than other brands.
    I would not settle for values that are close. I used Solen "fast caps" (recommended by Bill @ GPA as well as others) and was able to find exact values. I'm not saying Solen are the best, but I think it's important to find exact values even if you have to wire multiple caps together to obtain the correct value. Altec Best is right about the "ground modification" too--that's important to do if your crossovers are from the 70's--from what I understand the very last Model 19's made in the 80's had the ground modification already done at the factory AFAIK......
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    To twist or not to twist


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Good luck with the recap.I think you will like the difference.If you have an early pair you may want to do the ground bypass mods as well.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member johnsonad's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2009
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: To twist or not to twist

    Thanks everyone, I'll twist the wires. As of now I don't have any EMI issues but who knows after the next move.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.